Whether you cycle off-road or in the comfort of your home, having your bike properly fitted is one of the best investments you can make as a cyclist. In this blog post, we’ll talk about what happens during the bike fitting process and the benefits that come with a proper bike fit.
What Happens During a Bike Fitting?
When you come into our clinic, we’ll first interview you. This helps us learn your goals and history as a cyclist and also learn of any injuries you may have suffered in the past that could affect your performance. We’ll also measure parts of your body and your flexibility. Then we’ll begin the fitting process. Here’s what we look at:
- Seat height: your hip bone should be parallel with the top of the bike seat. A seat that is too high or too low will cause discomfort.
- Foot placement and cleat fit: we’ll have you strap or attach your feet into the pedals ensuring you are on the balls of your feet.
- Reach to the handlebars: you should be able to easily reach your grips or handlebars. Your elbows should have a slight bend.
- Frame size: you don’t want a bike that’s too long or too short.
A bike fitting can take anywhere between an hour to two hours. When you schedule a bike fitting with us, we ask that you bring all of your riding gear with you and be prepared to spend about 10 minutes or so riding. If like more information on bike fittings at New Heights take a look at our informational bike fitting page.
Why Proper Bike Fit is Important
Proper bike fit is when you are positioned in a way that will allow you to ride for as long as you want and as hard as you want while remaining comfortable. A proper fit will also:
- Reduce your risk of injuries
- Help eliminate saddle discomfort
- Reduce fatigue
- Help eliminate pain or numbness
Who Needs a Bike Fit?
Everyone can benefit from a bike fit, especially new riders. We also recommend experienced cyclists who’ve been fit before get a fresh fit every year. Your body changes over time whether it’s your age, weight, core strength, flexibility, or maybe you’ve had a child. What worked in the past may not work for you now so by evaluating you, we’ll be able to make some adjustments so you can once again ride efficiently.
Where Can I Get Professional Bike Fitting?
If you’re interested in improving your cycling performance and comfort, contact New Heights Physical Therapy Plus. We’ll properly fit you to your bike, whether it’s a road bike, mountain bike or stationary bike so you can ride for as long as you want to, pain-free! Call us to schedule an appointment. We have two convenient locations: one in Portland OR and another in Vancouver WA.
Proper Fitting for Stationary Bikes in Portland OR and Vancouver WA
Seeing Patients in the following Portland and Vancouver areas: