Scar Tissue Massage
Serving Portland OR | Vancouver WA
When you sustain a cut, fracture, or sprain your body will naturally repair itself by producing collagen fibers. However, if the scar tissue develops improperly and is left untreated, it can form hard ridges called keloids which can limit motion, cause discomfort, and lead to skin tightening.
While keloids aren’t harmful, if a patient finds them unattractive a physical therapist can aid in the healing of scar tissue and help minimize the scar.
Ready to schedule an appointment?Leave your information below and we'll contact you as soon as possible.
Scar Tissue Treatment Methods
Treatments for scar tissue include:
- ASTYM™: Augmented Soft Tissue Mobilization (ASTYM) involves using stainless steel tools to break up scar tissue and damaged soft tissue to help promote regeneration.
- Manual Therapy: manual therapy involves using hands-on techniques. This can include:
- Cross Friction Massage: using two fingers to massage the scar ensuring the collagen fibers properly align.
- Myofascial Release: massaging the skin lightly and slowly to work the underlying tissues around the scar.
- Microcurrent Therapy: involves frequency specific electrical currents which are applied to the injured area. Helps tissue heal faster and helps alleviate pain.
- Silicone Scar Sheets: Silicone scar sheets can be found in most drugstores and have shown to help minimize scars.
- Lubrication: Vitamin E oil, baby oil, and lotion may help keep the scar and surrounding skin pliable during massage.
Benefits of Scar Tissue Treatment
- Improved Blood Flow: Massage therapy for scars can improve blood flow, help break down scar tissue and make it less visible. Increased circulation can also help alleviate pain in the area.
- Increase Range of Motion: excess scar tissue and hinder your motion, impacting your quality of life. Treating the scar tissue can help reduce swelling, alleviate pain, and improve your mobility.
- Break Down Tissue: scar tissue isn’t as flexible as natural muscle fibers. Scar tissue massage will break down scar tissue, promote collagen production, and help reduce the appearance of scars.
Scar Tissue Treatment in Portland OR
Whether you’ve developed scar tissue after a cut, burn, or surgery, know that physical therapy can help. At New Heights Physical Therapy Plus, we are trained in helping patients treat their scar tissue through a variety of techniques. Schedule an appointment today at one of our two locations to start properly healing your scar tissue!Back to Physical Therapy Treatment Options
Scar Tissue Treatment in Portland OR and Vancouver WA
Seeing Patients in the following Portland and Vancouver areas: