Scientific Therapeutic Exercise Progression
Here at New Heights, we use STEP Therapy (Scientific Therapeutic Exercise Progression) to design your individualized exercise plans. STEP is a progression of therapeutic exercises designed to help tissue healing with controlled resistance to your injured area. We are experts on modifying exercises to help you achieve the desired results, without re-injury. STEP can be initiated as early as one day after injury, or applied to chronic, difficult, and hard to heal injuries. STEP Therapy can be used conveniently at home or a gym.
Benefits of STEP Therapy
- Exercise without increasing pain
- Drainage of inflammatory substances from your injured tissue
- Increases oxygen supply and brings rebuilding nutrients and cells to the injured area
- Repairs and thickens collagen tissue of muscles, tendons, cartilage, discs, and ligaments
- Helping injured cells resume normal function and cellular repair
- Stabilization of hyper-mobile (unstable) joints
- Increases mobility in hypo-mobile joints
- Increased soft tissue flexibility
- Improved muscular endurance
- Corrects bio-mechanical misalignment
Injured connective tissues – including bones, muscles, cartilage, ligaments and tendons – benefit from resistance exercises. To understand resistance, try this simple test. Stand for 30 seconds with your arms relaxed by your side. There is no resistance on your arms and the connective tissue in your arms is not improved. Next, stand for 30 seconds with your arms extended straight out in front of you Do you notice how quickly your arms become tired? That is because you are resisting the force of gravity. By repeating this test multiple times a day, your arms would develop stronger connective tissue as a response to the resistance.
Controlled resistance exercise is an essential key to your healing process. At New Heights, our incredibly knowledgeable and experienced physical therapists can help you utilize STEP therapy to recover from injuries or chronic conditions. Call today to learn more!